Democrat and Independent Thinker..."The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche

Commenting on many things, including..."A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from." - Keith Olbermann

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Southern expectations

As a Southerner and South Carolinian, I'm especially interested in:

  • Our state races to see if SC has yet turned the corner into the 20th century. (21st would just be too much to hope for!)

  • Seeing if TN will vote a black/African-American candidate into the U.S. Senate. I am so hoping the answer will be yes. Unfortunately, knowing Tennessee as I do, I doubt seriously if they have the chops to be the first Southern state to do so (since Reconstruction, and face it, that just doesn't count). Look, there just aren't enough minority votes in the state to team up with the low number of progressive whites. I'll be blown away and deliriously happy if I'm wrong.

  • Knowing that Virginia, our most sophisticated and progressive state, the birthplace of so many of our founding fathers, will shake off the dust of history and refuse to re-seat an obvious bigot. Webb isn't my hero, I'm not fond of his misogynist past, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.

Omigosh! Looks like Ohio has elected a Democrat for Governor!

No comments: