Democrat and Independent Thinker..."The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche

Commenting on many things, including..."A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from." - Keith Olbermann

Friday, November 17, 2006

Funny. Ha. Ha.

I found this at Reason, via The Deoxyribonucleic Hyperdimension. Reason is a big free market site. I don't agree with much on the site, but I found this interesting. And, I. still do agree with some of the sites viewpoints. Hell, I'm not an economist, but I think I fall somewhere around free trade with equal playing fields, but that's off point of this post.

You know, when I was young, stupid, and naive, I used to be a big "ban the gun" advocate. That was back when I thought, naively again, that there was no real need for the second amendment anymore because we were an established democracy and there would never come another time when we would have need to protect ourselves from an oppressive government.

That was before Bush.

Before our military was being trained to subdue civil insurrection within our borders. Before the executive branch was given the power to call up the National Guard to suppress U.S. citizens within state borders against the wishes of state government. Before U.S. citizens could be arrested and tortured without benefit of habeas corpus.

Or get tasered repeatedly by campus jackboots for visiting your university library without your ID card.


This ad appears in the U.K. who has adopted similar measures against it's citizens. I wonder how long before a move will be made to take away not only our guns, but our swiss army knives. I know, I know. Ridiculous. But, that's what I used to think about a citizens right to bear arms, too.


No comments: