Democrat and Independent Thinker..."The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche

Commenting on many things, including..."A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from." - Keith Olbermann

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

KATrick Henry

I am so upset about the Torture Bill that I am practically beside myself. It's really hard for me to write about anything else.

I want to be Paul Revere, riding my steed up and down every street in America, shouting "The Bushies are coming! The Bushies are coming!"

I want to be Tom Paine and write passionately and persuasively about human rights, human dignity and the Oppression Upon Us.

Most of all, I want to be Patrick Henry and shout to all who listen, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Who will listen? Is there anyone out there who cares?

I want everyone to understand that you have had your basic fundamental human rights stripped right out from under you. It has been done in subordination of the Constitution, as it forbids suspension of habeas corpus except in time of invasion or revolution, neither of which has happened, yet.

You no longer have freedom of speech because you could get arrested if you say or write something the government thinks aids terrorists. You do not have freedom of assembly because you could get arrested if the government thinks the anti-war protest you went to or the book club you went to included some statement or activity it deems aids terrorists. The freedom of the press has already been threatened and compromised. I mean, I could go on, but do you get it yet?

It applies to American citizens. Read it and weep.

‘‘(1) UNLAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANT.—(A) The term ‘unlawful
enemy combatant’ means—
‘‘(i) a person who has engaged in hostilities or who
has purposefully and materially supported hostilities
against the United States or its co-belligerents who is
not a lawful enemy combatant (including a person who
is part of the Taliban, al Qaeda, or associated forces);

This means if I say, for example, "I don't blame the people in Iraq for fighting against our forces because if another country's army had been occupying our country for five years and wouldn't leave, I would fight them, too" then I could be classified as an Unlawful Enemy Combatant.

I'm not kidding. It has already happened. There is still one man in Guantanamo who was arrested 5 years ago and has yet to be charged with a crime.

If you are arrested, you can be tortured. They don't have to tell you the charge against you. You will not go before a grand jury. You will not see the evidence against you. You will be convicted without the right to appeal at all, let alone appeal to the Supreme Court. After they finish torturing you, they will execute you.

Okay, I've done my duty. I have told you what the Republican Congress and Republican President have done. Go ahead and vote for them if you want, or don't vote at all, but when the revolution comes, I'll be on the other side.

Just let me point out again that my statement in quotes above was for example only (See what I mean about freedom of speech?) because I don't feel like getting arrested and tortured by my government today, however, if it comes right down to it, I will gladly give my life for liberty.

Will you?

No comments: