Democrat and Independent Thinker..."The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche

Commenting on many things, including..."A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from." - Keith Olbermann

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Guilty until proven innocent

I commented on Lynn Cheney's interview on CNN here on Friday but I neglected to mention something that I found particularly disturbing. Thanks to Think Progress, I am reminded of it.

Do you remember that the cornerstone of the American justice system is that the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty? Well, apparently the Republican Idgets do not. I suppose that is another right we have had stripped from America. Check it out:

When Wolf Blitzer pointed out that some individuals have been arrested and interrogated despite having no ties to terrorism, Cheney warned, “I think that you might be a little careful” declaring someone has “clean hands.”

You see, even when there is no evidence to prove someone is a terrorist, the mere fact that a person is suspected of being one is enough to qualify them as a terrorist.

I want my country back, please.

No comments: