Democrat and Independent Thinker..."The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche

Commenting on many things, including..."A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from." - Keith Olbermann

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Slimy Steny

I raise hell about Democratic cannabalism, but when I do, I mean going after our elected officials based solely on whether they vote exactly as some outspoken national wags think they should. I firmly believe that the constituents of elected officials are solely responsible for making their representatives represent them and their particular interests in all but issues of pure national importance, such as national security, in which case the welfare of the entire country should be foremost in their minds. I abhor outsiders who try to influence the election or re-election of officials contrary to the local party leaders, and people in the state or district.

However, in matters of corruption, I think it is the perogative, indeed the imperative, of all media to shine the light on the actions of elected representatives across the board. Ultimately, of course, it will be in the hands of the voters in the representatives constituency who make the decision as to whether they remain in office, absent any actual criminal wrongdoing and subsequent arrest and prosecution.

It is the role of media, both the MSM and the internet bloggers, to hold elected representatives up to the full light of day. Regardless of party affiliation. DownWithTyranny! has done just with this excellent post on Steny Hoyer.

I have never liked the guy. I think he's slimy in manner and demeanor. I was not happy when he took Majority Leader, but I had no information as to his possible corruption. Now I do. Thanks, Howie Klein. I don't agree with you on a number of things, but I do appreciate this information and this type of reporting. Good going.

No comments: